Kankakee River State Park, located next to the health of Illinois Bourbon and Bourbon hospital – this untouched natural paradise, which is appreciated for hundreds of years. First, it settled the Indians who inhabited the region, and then the farmers and merchants, and today tourists, campers, cyclists, anglers, hunters and kanoeisty. Case Kankakee, naturally canalized stream listed in the Federal Register pure streams with & # 39; Park popularity is the main point.
One of the popular attractions of the 1890s became an amusement park Bonfire Bower, who brought guests from Chicago. Park survived the First World War, but by the time the river has become a popular destination for summer houses. Spot more accessible for vacationers when roads were built on both banks of the river in 1928. Chicago Ethel Sterzhes Dummer ten years has donated thirty-five acres of land to create the state park. Commonwealth Edison has added nearly two thousand more acres park in 1956 and provided additional areas of the park in 1989. Currently, the State Park Kankakee River is about 4,000 acres and envelopes Kankakee both banks of the river for eleven miles, and is limited to Illinois Route 113 on the south side and the Illinois Route 102 north. Interstate highway 55 and 57 provide easy access to the park from local health communities Kankakee, Bradley, and Bourbon.
A number of prehistoric monuments are in State Park Kankakee River. Native American inhabitants of the area at the time when the 1670s came the first Europeans, the Indians were Miami and Ilyin. Miami has a large group, so the Kankakee River was originally called the Miami River. Maskuten and Kikapuo also inhabited the region since the late 1670's to the 1760's, and the Indians Patavatomi hunted in the area until late in life. By the 1770s the region was dominated country Patavatomi, Chyppeva and Ottawa, known as the "Three fire". The largest village was known as Rock Village and located in the modern park near the mouth of Rock Creek. The last of the great Indian council held here in 1830. In 1832, after the Black Hawk War, Patavatami were forced to give up all their land, which lay along the Kankakee and Illinois rivers, for the US government. Most of the Potawatomi abandoned the region, except for the main show-wow us Zee, whose grave is marked boulders lying on nature trails Nature Rock Creek.
In the 1820s, the French fur products, including Noel Le Vasseur, Hubbard Chabar and François Bourbon, traded Patavatami, who lived along the Iroquois and Kankakee rivers. If the Potawatomi abandoned the region in 1838, Le Vasseur called upon French Canadians from Quebec to emigrate to Bourbon Town district. So he was given the name "Father of Kankakee." William Baker and other settlers also began to engage in the Kankakee River Valley in 1831, and the village log Rockville was founded in 1840. In 1847, navigation Kankakee and Iroquois was organized to provide a navigable waterway from Illinois and Michigan Canal before landing Warner & # 39; s to the present day Warner Bridge Rd. The company went bankrupt in the early 1880s took the Wabash Railroad. Hand cut limestone pillars are still standing in the camping Chyppeva where should the railway bridge before going into the railroad had to be built out of funds.